New and Old Friends, an Illustrated Edition of Popular Novels by Popular Authors
Beadle and Adams (1872-1898)
(New York (N.Y.))
Format : Nickel Weekly (B&W)
|Dates:||Jan. 25, 1873 to Dec. 12, 1873|
|Schedule:||Monthly (nos. 1-5); irregular (nos. 6-15)|
|Size:||8" x 11"|
|Illustrations:||Black pictorial cover with two to four illustrations in each issue.|
|Major Author(s):||Edward S. Ellis, Mrs. Metta V. Victor, Captain J. F. C. Adams|
|Physical Description:||Thin quartos, with a black ink pictorial illustration on the cover, without wrappers.|
|Notes / Commentary:||
Beadle's first experiment with the thin quarto format, printed without wrappers and held together by stitches through the fold. The series was apparently unsuccessful, and the publisher would not issue another quarto until 1877.
Stories are reprinted from Beadle's Dime Novels and Beadle's Dime Fiction, with the exception of one original story by J. F. C. Adams in no. 5.
After no. 15, the series was converted into a story paper, but ran for only three issues. See New and Old Friends, 2nd Ser.
|Primary Data Source:||Johannsen|
|Data Entry Status:||Done, Believed Complete|
Items1. New and old friends no. 1 (Seth Jones; or, The Captives of the Frontier and 1 more item)
2. Bill Biddon, Trapper; or, Life in the Northwest
3. Malaeska; or, The Indian Wife of the White Hunter
4. Nat Todd; or, The Fate of the Sioux Captive
5. Lighthouse Lige; or, Osceola, the Firebrand of the Everglades. A Tale of the Haunted Lake
6. Alice Wilde, the Raftsman's Daughter
7. The Frontier Angel. A Romance of Kentucky Rangers' Life
8. The Backwoods' Bride. A Romance of Squatter Life
9. The Trail Hunters; or, Monowano, the Shawnee Spy
10. The Forest Spy. A Tale of the War of 1812
11. Irona; or, Life on the South-West Border
12. The Golden Belt; or, The Carib's Pledge
13. The Privateer's Cruise; or, The Bride of Pomfret Hall
14. The Slave Sculptor; or, The Prophetess of the Secret Chambers. A Tale of Mexico at the Period of the Conquest
15. The Riflemen of the Miami
No comments available.
Please log in to leave a comment.