Donohue, Henneberry & Co.
(Chicago: 407-425 Dearborn St.)
United States of America
Format : Reprint Library
|Issues:||93 (Highest number seen advertised)|
|Dates:||January 2, 1890 to August, 1893|
|Schedule:||Early issues, Weekly. Later semi-monthly.|
|Size:||7 1/2 x 5 1/4"|
|Pages:||375 to 400|
|Illustrations:||Special Designed cover in two colors|
|Publisher's Blurb:||"The following books are selected with a view of supplying the best current literature from the pens of the foremost American and foreign authors. The assortment will be found to contain sufficient variety to suit the tastes of all. They are printed on highly finished paper from large clear type, and are profusely illustrated. Each one of these books has special merit in its own field, and we guarantee them to give satisfaction."|
|Notes / Commentary:||
LeBlanc examined Nos. 2 and 51. Black & White pictorial cover suitable to title of book. Red lettering on title. Imprint in black and white at bottom. Series title, date and postal notice at very bottom. Spine contains number and title. Cover is of a yellowish color.
Cary Sternick owns a copy of no. 1 which differs from LeBlanc's description, featuring a full-color pictorial cover showing a woman reading a book above an inset landscape scene.
The LeBlanc listing was based in part on list from The Book and News Dealer for August 1-15, 1893 and contained erroneous entries for #10/#11 and had missing/incomplete entries for #35/#36; these have been corrected based on advertising found in the back of The Bookseller and Newsman, volume 8.
Items1. Stranded : a story of the Garden City
2. A Boston girl : a story of Boston, Bar Harbor, and Paris
3. Life of Beecher
4. Household Cook Book
5. A Dangerous Woman
6. Complete Letter Writer
7. Her desperate victory
8. Shadowed to Europe
9. Hunting in the great West : (rustlings in the Rockies) : hunting and fishing by mountain and stream
10. The English American
11. A man of samples. Something about the men he met "on the road."
12. Readings and recitations from modern authors, being pearls gathered from the fields of poetry and romance.
13. Two Women in Black
14. A Respectable Family
15. Lady Bell : a story of last century
16. The Complete House Builder : containing fifty plans and specifications of dwellings, barns, churches, public buildings, etc.
17. The Secrets of the Bastille; a story of the times of Madame de Pompadour
18. Un mystère, (a mystery)
20. Lucia Lascar : a romance of passion
21. A Tramp Actor
22. Breaking a butterfly; or, Blanche Ellerslie's ending
23. The Magician's Tour
24. The Mentions; or, Was It a Crime?
25. Silopaen : a novel
26. When Peggy Smiled
27. Anecdotes of Henry Ward Beecher
28. Three Years in a Man Trap
29. Life of Daniel Boone
30. Life in London or, the Pitfalls of a Great City
31. Rocky Mountain life, or, Startling scenes and perilous adventures in the Far West, during an expedition of three years
32. Rovings on land and sea
33. Art of taming horses
34. Lectures : phrenology; choice of professions or how to become rich; matrimony
35. Famous frontiersmen, pioneers and scouts; the vanguards of American civilization ...
36. Foiled; or, What Is the Law Good For?
38. The new constitution; how the farmer may pay off his mortgage, and the working-man become his own master
39. On the war path; a journey over the historic grounds of the late Civil War
40. An Artist's Honor
42. Belteshazzar : a romance of Babylon
43. Black Beauty
44. Was it the woman's fault?
45. The tragedies of Oak Hurst. A Florida romance
46. The curse of marriage : a true story of domestic life
47. Pharaoh's treasure; an Egyptian romance.
48. The Hussar
49. Night scenes of city life
50. Traps for men.
51. The golden idol; a tale of adventures in Australia and New Zealand
52. The Charm Broken
53. Helene Sainte Maur secrets of a boudoir.
54. One man's folly : a novel
55. The German pioneers; a tale of the Mohawk
56. Dora Thorne
57. Winsome but Wicked
58. Sunshine and Roses
59. Beyond Pardon
60. Virginia Rose
61. A Dark Marriage Morn
62. The Scarlet Letter
63. Won at last. A novel.
64. From Out the Gloom
65. The Dearborn Speaker
66. Dane Walrave. A Story of Old Boston
67. The Parson's Sin
68. Laura. A Story of Platonic Love
69. What's bred in the bone
70. A Mad Love
71. The story of Cloud's Mills
72. Woman Against Woman
73. A Golden Heart
74. The Honble. Mrs. Vereker. A novel
75. A Life's Remorse. A novel
76. The James Boys
77. The Younger brothers, the notorious border outlaws; an authentic and thrilling account of the most daring bandits of modern times, the Younger brothers, also Jesse and Frank James and their comrades in crime
78. The heir of Linne
79. The Two Orphans
80. A Marriage at Sea
82. Breezie Langton; A story of fifty-two to fifty-five
83. Thorns and Orange Blossoms
84. Lady Branksmere
85. The Dalton Brothers in Their Oklahoma cave: A Tale of Adventure in the Indian Territory, Together With the Desperate and Startling Criminal Career of the Gang
87. Dick's Sweetheart
88. Lord Lynne's Choice
89. When a Man's Single
90. Thrown on the World
91. A leaf turned down and some pages marked
92. Cow-boy life in Texas: or, 27 years a mavrick (!)
93. Wide, Wide, World
No comments available.
Please log in to leave a comment.